Friday, October 1, 2010

I'm Tired

When I get home from school I am so worn out that I just want to rest. Not sleep, just rest. My legs ache, my ankle doesn't bend, I'm just worn out.

The beginning of the school year is so difficult, trying to help students learn that they really can do some work on their own. Third graders still think they should be spoon-fed all the answers, given all the time to play that they wish, and just talk through every lesson. This year is a very, shall I say, active group. They are quite needy and have a difficult time getting along. It all just wears me out. So far this year two boys have brought guns with them to school. OKay, so they were just play plastic guns, but against the rules anyway. Especially when the owner of the gun threatens to shot a mother of a fellow student, or threatened to kill a student at recess. One of the funniest things was one of the "criminals" told me he didn't have a gun. The other boys yelled that he did to. He replied that it was just a toy car. I had him get his bookbag and open it up for me. I went with him out to the hallway where he unzipped the bag. It was very empty, no old school papers (which made me wonder where he work goes because he never brings anything back to school!), but there at the bottom, all alone in that sad, empty bookbag, was a toy gun. Not a car, but a gun. Now, why would you lie to a teacher like that? Needless to say, more trouble for lying than for a toy gun......But really, what will it be in that bookbag in 6 more years? It is scary to think about.

For now, I am tired and just want to rest. But I need to write out the monthly bills, make a sandwich or something to eat while Garth is gone to the local football game. Maybe I will watch the BYU/USU game.....

Oh....By-the-way.....I got a new book in the mail the other day...another free book from Jason Wright. His latest book, "The Seventeen Second Miracle." Won it by estimating how many elastic bracelets were in his pint jar. My answer was 54....right on the nose! I think he is my favorite authors. That makes two free books from him in about 6 months. Now I have a total of 5 books on my bedside table waiting for me to read them. One Tammy gave me by Blaine Yorgensen which I have already started, a Judi Piccoult that I started but was interrupted, the one about the beginning of the church in Russia, the last of the Seekers series I am reading for my third grade class (must read the last book, right?) and something else. I was hoping to read most of them during the summer......Where did summer go anyway? Even with this last long wonderful September, I didn't get much reading done....

I'm tired. I just want to rest.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

hopefully you stopped watching the game and decided to go read. It was sad.