Friday, April 24, 2009

I Finally Did It

I am becoming quite daring in my old age. I finally decided to do something I have had the opportunity to do for many years but didn't see the need. Yesterday, I did it. It wasn't that I was afraid or anything like that before, I just didn't want to. I didn't see the necessity or have the desire. Maybe I was being stubborn and taking a stand. I don't really know the reason. But the other day I decided we needed to do this together. What was the big step? I got on the 4-wheeler!

Yes, my dear children, mother drove the 4-wheeler! Now, I have been on it before. One fall day Dad was trimming the willow tree and needed someone to pull the rope to guide a big branch, so I moved the machine back and forth helping him with the work. But I don't think that actually counts as driving it. I know all the kids love to ride with Grandpa, and even enjoy "driving" it themselves, but I just haven't ever desired to be in control of that thing.

But the weather has been so nice lately, and I have felt so much better and wanted to do something different after school. Garth has not been working at the station on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, so he is home at 2:00 (sometimes later now that track/baseball season has started, and the water is finally in), so I have more reason to leave school early and get home. But what do we do with our time? I decided we needed to go for a ride. We are really looking forward to our first trip to the mountains the weekend school is out, and we have talked about taking the two 4-wheelers and just riding along the roads and on a few trails. I like that idea just spending some time together. We haven't really taken the time to do much of that and we are looking forward to it. But I thought I would need to try it out on a smooth road first. So we did.
Last night we rode up around the cemetery (Lexi and Kaydon's favorite place to go in Orangeville...), up to the Coal Haul Road, down past Industrial Electric and across to home. Big outting for me! But just what I needed. It was a great time with my hubby. Being with him was probably the best part of it, but learning to drive the machine was an added feature. I am really looking forward to more times with him this summer.

Got to get going. It seems like I get later and later getting to school every day. I think I have spring fever.

4 comments:

Nicky said...

OH MY STARS! :) Mom got on the four-wheeler! Now you will NEVER get the end of it, now the grandkids will love to ride it with Grandma too! :) Did you go faster then 5 mph?

Grandma Labrum said...

Yes, Nicky! I got up to 15 mph. Pretty good, huh? I am proud of me! I don't like the feel of the vibrations under my feet. And my thumb got tired. My ankle was killing me and bugs in my eyes. But it was fun. I want to do it again!I am ready for riding in the mountains.

mom o said...

All I can say is, it's about time. My favorite days spent with Paul is having him ride on the back of our four wheeler. He doesn't like to drive because then he can't really look around at things. Welcome to the club and I too am looking forward to this summer and spending time on the bike.

mom o said...

I will be home on Monday night. I'm hoping to have Tuesday at home and then get back to work after that. You can call me or email me. Whatever is easier for you. Talk to you later.