Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rose Parade

Sitting here with the Rose Parade on the TV reminded me of one special time watching the parade. I don't know how old I was,just that I wasn't a teenager because in my mind I was more like 10 or 12. I had spent New Year's Eve at Grandma Olsen's. I don't know why I was there. Perhaps it was one of those years that Mom and Dad had a party at their house, or they were going somewhere else, or whatever. Or maybe I just wanted to go to Grandma's for the night. I don't remember spending any other night there, but perhaps I did, but I do remember that one night. We went to bed early and I was cold in the big guest bed. Grandma gave me an extra quilt and I snuggled down deep in the covers. In the morning we watched the parade after eating breakfast. She sat in her chair by the window, and I was in the chair across the room. We cracked nuts and watched the parade. Grandma loved every float and would say "How bee-u-ti-ful" as only Grandma Olsen could say. She told me about the time she went to the Rose Parade with the group of ladies that would sometimes go on trips together, headed by Edra McNeil...boy that brings back memories, doesn't it? She loved going places when she was able to get around, and she enjoyed going with "the ladies". Every time the Rose Parade comes on I think back to that magical morning sitting with my Grandma and enjoying her company. I don't know why I didn't take advantage of it more often. I guess with my own bed just a block away the overnight stays at Grandma's weren't so special at that time. I would love to do it today. A simple memory of watching a parade and cracking nuts can stay with a person a long time. I hope I can make those kinds of memories for my grandchildren. For now, I'll enjoy the parade and taking down our small Christmas tree, along with getting our house back in order for this new year.
I hope everyone has a great year.....

1 comment:

Carol said...

I loved your story. I can just hear Grandma saying "bea-u-ti-ful". She said it in a way that was uniquely her.