Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Reading

I like to read books, all types of books.  I pick up and put down books all over the place.  I can have one in the bathroom, one by my bed, one in the kitchen, one in the car, one at school, and be reading them all at the same time.  Now I also have one, .... no, many, on my iPad that I can read in the car as we are traveling at night, no less!  And the light doesn't disturb the driver.  But I don't read it while I am driving, of course.

When I started going to the 'gym' to work out last January/Feb, I hated to walk on the treadmill and just look at the wall.  There is a large window that looks out on Main Street, but let's face it, Main Street of Castle Dale just isn't too exciting to watch.   There was a lot of excitement every Friday night as the traffic stopped to visit the store next door.  I would see many people coming out with brown paper sacks filled with the bottles they purchased while in the State Drink Store.  But that was the most excitement in town.  So I decided to start reading a book while I walked. A great way to multi-task!  I read a very sad/wonderful/well-written book about a little boy with cancer (You Can Keep Him) and what the family went through as they prepared him for death.  I read about a near-death experience of a neuro-surgeon (of another faith) and was amazed at what he learned and how it changed his life (Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife.  I read about a young lady who set a goal to find out about faithpray with faith."  Her book is great and I recommend it to someone who wants to read a quick, easy-read with lots of scriptures to look up to study.  And I read Dr. Phil's Life Code...just
, so she set up her "Faith Experiment."  and it worked for her.  One quote I love from her book is "Once you know that the thing you are praying for is acceptable to God--that it's an okay thing to ask for--it completely changes your ability to
because I needed it.

I just finished another book that was very enlightening to read: President Monson's biography.  (If my memory is right, my son tells me he went to medical school with the author's son.)  When the font on my book is large enough for me to read while walking, it causes this book to be about 1500 pages long!  But I am now finished with the book.  I really learned to love how President Monson prayed to know what to pray about, and how he knew when his prayers were answered.  That is something I need to work on.

Now I am reading the second volume of Dean Hughes latest series; Come to Zion: Through Clouds and Sunshine.  I enjoyed his earlier series Hearts of the Children, and Children of the Promise.  I am amazed that he can write about so many characters and keep them so true to themselves throughout the series.  This is a very interesting story and I am excited to be reading it.

I am also reading a John Grisham novel, The Confession. A very interesting turn-of-events novel.  I really enjoy his legal stories.

That doesn't mean I am not reading my scriptures or other church books.  I am still reading "If God Loves Me, Why This?   I was planning on writing more about it tonight, but I am tired and need to go get ready for bed.

What are you reading this summer?  (I couldn't copy the covers of the other books because Amazon does not allow it.  At least I wasn't able to get it to work.)


No comments: