Monday, March 1, 2010

Just Some Research

Saturday I traveled to Provo for a lunch with my sisters. We missed having our oldest sister and her daughters with us, and Tammy wasn't able to be there, either, but it was nice to visit with those who could come. As always, the conversations were even better than the food, and the food was great. I always have a difficult time deciding what to order because it all looks (or sounds) so good. Pictures, please, on the menus!

Our conversation lead me to some thinking, so I decided to do some of my own research. Maybe it is because I haven't had to write any papers for college classes, but whatever the reason, I wanted to look up some references on one of the points we discussed, just for my own knowledge. The question came up about the Word of Wisdom and where the directive came to include tea and coffee with the "hot drinks." I remembered an institute class from college where we studied modern issues with latter-day prophets directives, kind of like the pierced earrings issue. We had a lesson on caffeine, tobacco, and drug use. There was a hand-out about coffee, especially de-decaffeinated (at the time de-caf was a new thing). I remember the hand-out because I saved it for a long time but apparently I dejunked it lately.) So I got on LDS.org and did some research. Now, mind you, it was just for my information and not to justify myself or anyone else, just a silly thing I like to do when a point interests me. I'm not trying to justify myself, point any fingers, change the world's opinions or anything, just writing my findings about the subject. I hope no one takes any offense or thinks I'm out of line....just writing my findings here. You are all still free to do and think what you want and I will love you all anyway.

I was wondering if there was any documentation as to when coffee (and tea) were specifically mentioned as part of the Word of Wisdom. The Word of Wisdom states:
5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.
6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, a pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.
7 And, again, astrong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
8 And again, tobacco is not for the abody, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

No specific reference to coffee here. What exactly are "hot drinks"? Many people will asked "What about hot chocolate, wassail, and other hot drinks? So more research....
When I searched "Word of Wisdom" I found this under "Additional Information:
Tea and coffee (see D&C 89:9; latter-day prophets have taught that the term "hot drinks," as written in this verse, refers to tea and coffee).

When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom. Illegal drugs can especially destroy those who use them. The abuse of prescription drugs is also destructive spiritually and physically.


So, latter-day Prophets added it, but when? More research. I couldn't find anywhere where Joseph Smith said anything about coffee and tea, perhaps he enjoyed a cup himself and didn't want to change his lifestyle! :) So, where do we find it mentioned: The earliest thing I can find is from Brigham Young, the prophet who followed Joseph Smith, so he must have been the first one to mention these two substances. Here is what I found:
The Spirit whispers to me to call upon the Latter-day Saints to observe the Word of Wisdom, to let tea, coffee, and tobacco alone, and to abstain from drinking spirituous drinks. This is what the Spirit signifies through me.
He also states: I know that some say the revelations upon these points are not given by way of commandment. Very well, but we are commanded to observe every word that proceeds from the mouth of God (DBY, 182–83).

I thought it was interesting that he reminds us it was not given by way of commandment, but we should follow what the prophets say. But why add tea and coffee?
In the same article we find this:
This Word of Wisdom prohibits the use of hot drinks and tobacco. I have heard it argued that tea and coffee are not mentioned therein; that is very true; but what were the people in the habit of taking as hot drinks when that revelation was given? Tea and coffee. We were not in the habit of drinking water very hot, but tea and coffee—the beverages in common use (DBY, 182).
I wonder when people first started drinking hot chocolate? There is more about the benefits of all points of the word of wisdom, including eating grains, fruits, and sleeping enough but not too much. There is a lot in the "directive" which I personally don't follow to a "tea" (pun intended). I don't think I am the only person in the world who doesn't follow the WofW with true fidelity.

There is also documented information about the affect of caffeine on the body:
Coffee and the caffeine it contains plays a major role in dozens of diseases in the United States, from the number one killer, heart disease, to the number one physical complaint, chronic fatigue. (Goulart, 1984
This is taken from an article called "Caffeine-The Subtle Addition.

Medical researchers have long suspected that coffee consumption contributes to diseases affecting the heart or the blood vessels attached to the heart. Obtaining conclusive data, though, has been difficult. Many studies measured coffee drinking at a time remote from reported heart problems. Other studies did not adequately consider important variables such as cigarette smoking, age, and cholesterol level in the blood. They could not establish whether the heart disease primarily resulted from drinking coffee.

Since 1980, however, several research teams have published significant medical reports demonstrating that the chronic abuse of caffeine is very risky. Researchers at the National Center for Health Statistics and Johns Hopkins Medical School, for example, recently published their findings from a thirty-year study that confirmed a close relationship between coffee intake and coronary heart disease. (LaCroix et al., 1986.)


But what about de-caffeinated drinks? From the same article: Some people avoid caffeine by switching to decaffeinated coffee. However, several medical investigations over the last decade have shown that between 40 and 50 percent of decaffeinated coffee drinkers have gastrointestinal difficulties, such as ulcers, colitis, or diarrhea. (Goulart, 1984.) Decaffeinated coffee stimulates the production of stomach acid because the roasting of coffee beans releases harsh acids and oils that irritate stomach linings. One study of 13,000 patients in Boston, Massachusetts, area hospitals also showed that the risk of developing myocardial infarction was the same for decaffeinated coffee drinkers as it was for regular coffee drinkers. (Health Letter, 1982.)
It goes on to say that the effects of restlessness, jittery, irritability, nervousness, etc, are directly related to body-size, which explains why none of that
seems to affect me! This article ends with the following:

According to a statement in the Priesthood Bulletin of February 1972 (volume 8, number 1), “There has been no official interpretation of [the] Word of Wisdom except that which was given by the Brethren in the very early days of the Church when it was declared that ‘hot drinks’ meant tea and coffee.

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.”


What about the caffeine in chocolate, or other sodas or drinks? Here is a chart that shows the amounts of caffeine in these:

I would post the chart here but the formatting doesn't copy right. If you are interested you will just have to follow the link. But it shows that there is a significantly larger amount of caffeine in coffee. Now, a 44-oz cup of Pepsi or Coke is approaching the same as a cup of coffee. Diet pills have even more.

Myself, I used to drink cherry coke all the time. I stopped when I was told that because of my asthma medication, the carbonation wasn't good for my bones. It wasn't the caffeine I was worried about, but the soda part. I will drink a root beer with a hamburger, but with most meals i drink water. That is just my preference because of my medical condition. As for coke vs. Pepsi, I don't really like the taste of either. Just my own opinion.

So, for what it is worth, that is what I found. I will continue to eat chocolate, I love my hot chocolate in the morning (the hazel nut is wonderful, but I also like the raspberry, or cherry chocolate.....) I love roasted vegetables, but also eat more meat then I should. I don't get enough sleep...and don't exercise enough. I guess I don't follow the word of wisdom the way I should, but I'm still okay with it. I see the benefits of its message and see where I need to improve, but I will still fall short of following it to a TEA. (something I never have tried)

No comments: