Monday, March 29, 2010

With Easter just next Sunday, I am remembering all the fun times we had as an Olsen family. Easter was always spent out on the desert enjoying all the warmth of the sun. However, you will notice in this picture that we are tossing Easter eggs in Joe's Valley. It was the year of 1976. I remember it well because I had just gotten out of the hospital with a terrible infection in an "unmentionable" place which required lots of IVs and was not a very pleasant experience. The infection came on after a long bus trip with our Ogden Institute Choir group, so I remember the year. Easter came early, the end of March, and with snow still on the ground we decided to ride up to the mountains instead of the desert. Why would the mountains be better than the desert? There was still snow on the mountain as well? I think we were all crazy! But here is the one picture of Easter in the mountains.



That is me in the plaid jacket tossing an egg. I think Steve is there, and Aunt Barbara. Mom is standing right behind my arm. I wish I could get these pictures to come up larger. I'll have to work on that for another time.

Here is the traditional Easter in the desert. That's my cousin James, my sister Linda, and my mom, who is hiding behind James. They are standing by our white station wagon, the one with the backward facing seat. We would spread out all the food on the tail gates and eat all day, with a break to roll those Easter eggs. We had all the food we could possibly eat with a lot of sand thrown in for good luck. Easter was always great fun.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Well I happen to know where that infection in an unmentionable place was. ha ha ha.

Nicky said...

I agree with Tammy!! Nothing beats "easterin" out on the desert with a little sand in the food. Glad I have all the memories of enjoyin it with the Olsens and Peacocks!

mom o said...

I'm so looking forward to our weekend. We haven't gone out for the past couple of years. We even have kids coming home. Easter in our family was bigger than Christmas. Thanks for sharing your memories. Most of our Easter pictures are on video so it would be a little difficult to share them. Thanks again.