Monday, October 13, 2008

The Great and Terrible: Clear as the Moon

I wrote that I was reading the newest (and last) volumn of this great series. We picked it up in Logan on Friday, Oct. 3 and read it all the way home that night, until it got too dark to see. I couldn't sleep on Sunday morning, so I got up early, about 4:00 and read to the end of the book. And cried again. What a surprise ending! When we drove up to SLC Saturday for the boys birthday, I read it aloud both up and back. When I wasn't sleeping, of course. For some reason I get tired when we drive and there were a few times I just needed to rest my eyes. We still read about 150 pages in all.
I won't give away the story, but it you like intense drama about the last days, this series is a must read. A few of the parts in a few volumns are so technical you really have to concentrate on them, but it is so "real time" it is scary.
While we were reading the first part of the book, it because clear to me that the President of the United States needs to be someone who is a true patriot. Someone who will sacrifice everything for the constitution of our country. Someone who has proved that the constitution is worth fighting for, who would volunteer to fight and lead troops wherever they need to be. He must also be someone who knows when to fight and how to fight. Someone who would not simply just try to get on the "good side" of countries who have announced their hatred against our country. Negotiating just isn't possible with someone who has no sense of right and wrong. Our leaders must be people who cannot be sweet talked into becoming friendly, not watching our backs because they are hearing the politically correct thing. It was too easy in the book for others to be sucked in by the smooth talkers, the people who ultimately wanted to bring our country down. We need leaders who know war and who believe in our military strength because that is where we will be attacked. It was easy for some to be bought out by a host of other ideas, other people who were ready to set us up for failure.
Overall, it was a very good book. I'm not sure if everyone would like this series, just like not everyone likes those "vampire" books. (I'm not enticed, but I admit I am weird.) Just so you know, Mrs. Card didn't like them either. I was hooked on this series with the first book, The Brothers, all about the pre-existence and I learned so much about the power of Satan and what his plan truly is. It helped me understand how others could actually choose to follow him and how much they want us to fail here. Anyway, I liked the series, and have learned a lot about the evil forces we see in our world today.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yeah, well even though Mrs Card is cool, she can be weird too. Come on someone who dances around and sings in class is weird. She also CHOMPS on ice and teaches English