Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Family Funeral

Attending a funeral isn't the way most of us would choose to spend an afternoon, but what a nice funeral it was. The nephews and neices who spoke did such a wonderful job of recalling experiences they had with their favorite aunt. Everyone recalled her infectious laugh and big smile, the hardships she has gone through and her love for her family. The song that was sung is one I found many years ago and tucked into my piano bench with instructions for my high school friend to sing at my own funeral. She sang it yesterday and it was beautiful. The family plot just inside the gate of the cemetery brought back thoughts of grandparents and family members who would be so happy to be able to greet her in heaven. Although funerals are a celebration of life, and mark the end of a mortal existence, it is also a time for family to gather. It was so nice to see so many family members. There were only a few cousins who weren't able to travel to attend, and it felt so good to see the rest of us there. All in all, it was a very nice day.

I was so touched seeing how difficult a time one family member was having. Although I haven't seen him for a very long time, over 34 years at least (did I really graduate from high school that many years ago?), it was so good to be able to hug him and have him cry on my shoulder. At the cemetery he was having such a difficult time and I felt impressed to speak to him again. I went up to him and hugged him and told him that I know his sister is free from her pain, and that she wants him to know that the things they were taught about the spirit world were true. That she is with Grandpa and Grandma, free and happy, and to just know that it is true. He sobbed and sobbed and said "How did you know I needed to know that? Boy, did I need a kicker to get me thinking about all this. How did you know I needed that?" I silently prayed and told the Lord, "See, I am working on following those little impessions. Thanks for helping me along."

One of the nephews who spoke was an "employee" in our little family business, a very special boy to us, one my own children admired for his athletic abilities and his brains. He did such a good job and looked so nice in his suit. I jokingly asked him, "Just how often do you speak in church like this?" And we laughed togethering knowing that his family wasn't active while he was living here. I then found out that he is now the Executive Secretary in his ward! Yes, as he would say, miracles happen! He and his beautiful wife have gone to the temple and he sees how important the gospel is in his life.

Perhaps that is one reason understanding death affects how we react in the situation. Death isn't an ending. Although it is sad that we will not have the person here to engage in conversation or to be a part of our mortal life, I know that life exists after this. That all those family members who have passed on will be there when we experience death. We will see them, associate with them, continue on our lives in a different sphere than here. That is so comforting to me. Not something I wish to experience for a while, but something that brings me comfort.

I am so thankful for my testimony of eternal families. Knowing we can be with our families forever makes death a lot easier to endure. The death of a family member is difficult enough, but without the truth of eternal famiies, it would be almost impossible to handle. Life does go on, and we will be together again.

1 comment:

Nicky said...

That is good that you got to see Johnny! I miss Johnny! He was like another big brother to me while growing up! That last few weeks have really had me thinking a lot about families and the church..